St. John’s Episcopal Hospital
327 Beach 19th Street
Far Rockaway, NY 11691
Contact person(s) for all rotations:
Gerry Albrecht, Secretary
Phone Number 718-869-7815
Fax Number 718-869-7834
Dr. Sheldon Sirota, Director Medical Education
Phone Number 718-869-7815
Office/Floor 6th Floor - Room 608
Working Hours and Where to Report on Day 1:
Report to Gerry Albrecht at 8:00 am for orientation.
All students must bring $10 deposit for your ID.
All driving students must park on the street until you get your ID. Once you have your ID, you will use the employee parking lot on Beach 20th Street.
Jackets (white lab coat)
Access to cafeteria or dining room
Cafeteria is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (check posted hours)
Please look respectable, however, white coats are not necessary in the cafeteria
The closest airport is Kennedy, about five (5) miles away, LaGuardia (15) miles away Liberty International (Newark) is about forty (40) miles away.
- Subway “A” train(8th Avenue line) to last stop (Mott Avenue) in Far Rockaway. Walk mile on Beach 20th Street to hospital. (Make sure train train says Mott Avenue, NOT Lefferts Blvd.)
- Long Island Railroad: From Penn Station (Manhattan) to Far Rockaway station, cab to hospital or walk mile along Central Avenue which become Beach 20th Street.
Note: The train rides are long and there are frequent delays. Allow extra time for traveling.
From Manhattan: Midtown Tunnel to Long Island Expressway East to Grand Central Parkway South to Van Wyck onto the road leading to the Nassau Expressway. Proceed on Nassau Expressway (878) to Rockaway Turnpike (Blvd see “Final Approach”)
From Queens: Take Van Wyck South and proceed as above
From the Bronx: Whitestone Bridge to Van Wyck South and proceed as above.
From Brooklyn: Belt Parkway East, get off at Exit 11 South (Flatbush Avenue) across Marine Park Bridge, bear left onto Beach Channel Drive (curvy road). Stay on this road for about four(4) miles. After Beach 35th Street, make a right onto Seagirt Blvd (Go under train trestle), then left on Beach 19th Street, then two(2) blocks to hospital.
From Staten Island and Central New Jersey: Verrazano Bridge to Belt Parkway (See from Brooklyn)
From Northern New Jersey: George Washington Bridge to Van Wyck South ( See from Manhattan)
From Long Island: Belt Parkway West (Southern State) Off see “final Approach”
FINAL APPROACH: Rockaway Boulevard South (turns eventually into Rockaway Turnpike) about five (5) miles to Central Avenue. (Central Avenue is one block past the railroad tracks – there is a blue hospital sign on the corner) Right onto Central and proceed 2.3 miles straight to the hospital. Central Avenue becomes Beach 20th Street in Far Rockaway.
*** Take main elevator to the 6th Floor***
Procedure for scheduling electives at St. John’s:
1. Student emails Ms. Weekes (email@example.com) to schedule the elective rotation and dates they want first
2. Ms. Weekes sends an email back to the student confirming if the rotation is open or not
3. Student then forwards this email to Dean Casey, Celina Agaian, and Joy Cohen (EMAIL ALL)
4. Dean Casey, Joy Cohen, or Celina Agaian then forward the Elective Rotation Approval Form to Geraldine Ablrecht at St. John’s
5. Dean Casey, Joy Cohen, or Celina Agaian update your profile on Eccentex