Free individual and small group tutoring is available for Touro College students who need academic assistance to support classroom instruction. Tutors are available at all sites. Tutoring is available for English, ESL, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Math, Accounting, Computer Science, and other academic areas upon request.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much does tutoring cost?
- Tutoring is free to all Touro College students.
2. When should I seek a tutor?
- When you feel you need help
- When you want feedback on your ideas
- If your instructor suggests that you need help
- If you have questions about your class work
- If you need help with a homework assignment
- If you need help writing your papers
- If your test scores are poor
- If you need help understanding concepts in any academic area
3. How can I request a tutor?
- Contact Leyla Rexha at (718) 265 - 6534 ext. 1022 to make an appointment
- Speak to your instructor
- Contact the Resource Center Coordinator at your site
- Speak to your academic advisor
- Speak to your site coordinator
- Speak to the tutor at your site
4. What are your responsibilities, as a student, in the tutoring process?
- Bring your pink registration form to the first tutoring session.
- Bring your textbook, exams, and assignments to the tutoring session.
- Record the date, time in and out, and sign your name on the sign-in sheet at each session.
- Come with questions you want to ask the tutor so that the tutor can help you with the concepts you are having difficulty understanding.
- Notify the tutor if you cannot keep your appointment. Call the tutor or call the Resource Center Coordinator at your site. Students who fail to keep to appointments will be dropped from the tutor's roster.
- If you are not satisfied with your tutor, request a change. Don't wait until the end of the semester.
5. What can I expect from a tutor?
- One hour of individual or small group tutoring per week, for each course you are enrolled in
- Attention to your personal academic needs and questions
- Review of concepts that will help you to complete your assignment and to succeed in your exams
6. What is the tutor not authorized to do?
- Complete your homework assignments
- Write your papers
7. What can the English/College Writing tutors do for you?
- Brainstorm to help you develop your topics and assignments
- Assist in organizing your papers
- Point out errors so that you can revise your papers
- Explain faulty grammar to you
- Explain why and how you should revise your paper to achieve a better grade
- Help ESL students
8. What can the tutor do for you in other academic areas?
- Explain difficult concepts
- Review homework assignments
- Help in writing research papers
9. If I am registered at one site, but find it more convenient to have tutoring at a different site, is this permitted?
- Yes! Students can register for tutoring at any Touro College site.