Touro College Resource Centers offer online tutoring for students in all courses which involve writing.
Online tutoring in writing will enable you to submit papers to a tutor any time of the day or night. The tutor will read your paper and critique it, pointing out errors in grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, etc. The tutor may also advise you that you are lacking a thesis statement, or that you have not adequately developed your argument.
You may also post questions or short pieces of writing for the online tutor which can be submitted on a 24/7 basis.
IN ORDER TO USE ONLINE TUTORING, YOU MUST HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHAT IS ONLINE TUTORING?
- A way for students to present their papers to a tutor online for assessment and comment
- A way for students to ask questions and receive answers online from a tutor
2. WHO WILL ONLINE TUTORING BENEFIT?
- Online tutoring will be of great benefit to students whose schedules prevent them from meeting face-to-face with a tutor. However, all Touro College students can make use of this service.
3. WHEN ARE TUTORS AVAILABLE ONLINE?
- Tutors are available at various times during the day. Your papers and questions can be submitted on a 24/7 basis. The tutors will review them on a first-come, first-served basis.
4. WHAT WILL TUTORS DO WHEN THEY RECEIVE MY PAPER?
- They will answer your specific questions and point out areas of concern with regard to organization, development, and grammar.
5. What are tutors not authorized to do?
- Tutors will not proofread, edit, or rewrite your papers.
6. How long will it take for me to hear from the tutor about my paper?
- Your paper will be returned to you with comments within 24-48 hours, excluding weekends and holidays.
7. How do I prepare for online tutoring?
- Allow enough time for your document to be reviewed before its due date. Remember to include the topic of your essay and any questions you might have about it. Some questions you might ask are:
- Do I have a thesis statement?
- Do my paragraphs support my thesis?
- Are my paragraphs arranged in logical order?
- Did I use commas correctly in the third paragraph?
- Are my verb tenses consistent?
8. What if I need to ask additional questions about my paper?
- If you have additional questions about the same essay, you can submit it again to the online tutor.
9. How do I submit my questions online?
- All Touro College students now have Blackboard accounts. Log in to Blackboard; click on the 'Online Tutoring' tab. Click 'Self-enroll', then 'Essay Submission.' All essays and questions must be submitted as Microsoft Word for Windows (.doc or .docx) documents.
To find out more about Online Tutoring, contact:
Resource Center Coordinator
(347) 554 - 7542
Director, Resource Centers and Tutoring Program
(718) 265 - 6534 ext.1023