About LAS Flatbush
The Lander College of Arts and Sciences in Flatbush, with separate Men’s and Women’s Divisions, is located at Avenue J and East 16th Street in the Midwood section of Brooklyn. More than 1,000 students are enrolled each semester at the Flatbush Campus.
Encompassing more than 90,000 square feet, the Flatbush Campus was inaugurated in the Spring of 1995. Nestled in a vibrant, residential Jewish community, the Flatbush Campus is easily accessible by subway and bus transportation from all areas of Brooklyn and Queens, and is easily reached from Long Island as well as from Rockland County. Shops and restaurants dot the avenue in the vicinity of the campus.
This seven-story campus includes three large science laboratories (for biology, chemistry and physics), three computer science laboratories, twenty-eight classrooms, the college library and two library reading rooms, a student lounge, and service and support offices, including the Office of the Registrar, the counseling and placement center, and academic departmental offices. In September 1997, the New York State Education Department officially designated this site as The Flatbush Branch Campus of Touro College.
The Flatbush Men's and Women's Divisions
College of Arts and Sciences is uniquely suited for highly motivated students who wish to earn a meaningful,
goal-oriented baccalaureate degree in a supportive Jewish environment. Its correlate
Flatbush Men's and Women's Divisions enable students to complete a high quality education,
developing the competencies and attaining the credentials necessary for rewarding professional employment and advancement in today's specialized and competitive career world.
Academic Opportunities for Your Future
When you consider your future, what do you see?
A successful certified public accountant, an independent entrepreneur managing his own
business, or a professional in a high tech field like computer science? Do you see
yourself serving the needs of your community as a doctor, dentist, physical therapist, or
physician assistant? Do you picture yourself as a lawyer in corporate practice, a
financial analyst, or an investment specialist on Wall Street? Does the mental image of
your future include helping people master the power of language as a speech therapist, or touching the lives of Jewish youngsters as a teacher?
The Lander College in Flatbush will enable you to travel the career path to your professional
future. You will benefit from the diversity of the majors and academic programs offered.
Your choices include the following fields:
Accounting (CPA) ©
Biology © Computer Science
Economics © English ©
Finance © History
Interdisciplinary Liberal Arts & Sciences
Management © Management Information Systems
Management/Marketing © Mathematics/Actuarial Studies
Political Science © Psychology
Speech and Communications (B.S. & M.A.)
Web Design & Desktop Publishing
PRE-PROFESSIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL OPTIONS
Dual Education Program (General & Special Education) © International Business & Finance (M.S.)
Occupational Therapy (M.S.) © Physical Therapy (B.S./D.P.T.) © Physician Assistant © Pre-Dentistry
Pre-Law © Pre-Medicine © School Psychology (M.S.)
School Administration & Supervision (M.S.) © Special Education (M.S.) © Teaching Literacy (M.S.)
Instructional Technology (M.S.) © Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESOL)
Business Administration (M.B.A.) © Mental Health Counseling (M.S.)
ADDITIONAL AREAS OF STUDY
Chemistry © Foreign Languages
Health Care Administration © Physics
Some majors may entail studies at other campuses.
Special Benefits and Advantages
The following benefits, which give you an extra edge, are available to
students at Lander College in Flatbush:
- Qualified Lander College students benefit from a program of preferential and guaranteed
admissions to the Touro College School of Health Sciences which offers highly competitive
programs in the fields of occupational and physical therapy and physician assistant
studies at its campuses in Manhattan and Long Island.
- Qualified students benefit from preferential admissions to the M.S. program in
International Business Finance and the Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) offered by the Graduate School of Business.
- Qualified undergraduates may accelerate their degree studies by registering for up to
twelve graduate credits in the Graduate School of Education and Psychology toward their
- Qualified students may benefit from preferential admission to the J.D. program offered
through the Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center. Both day and evening program options are available.
Hallmarks of Excellence
Touro nurtures academic excellence and takes great pride in the record of its alumni.
Here are some facts we are happy to share with you.
- Graduates of The Lander Colleges have ranked first consistently in the United States on the Business Law section of the National CPA Examination, based on the percentage of students passing in the subject area.
The Lander Colleges
- placed second in the nation in the subject area.
- placed second in the nation on the Financial Accounting and Reporting (FARE) section of the test.
- ranked fifth in the United States on the Accounting and Reporting (ARE) section.
- Alumni of The Lander Colleges have a near-perfect record of admission to law school. Since 1998, our students have been admitted to Harvard University Law School, Columbia University, New York University, The University of Pennsylvania, Georgetown University, Fordham University, Boston University, The University of Miami, Loyola University, (Los Angeles), Hofstra University, Touro Law School, and Cardozo Law School.
- Lander graduates have served on the editorial staff of the Law Review at Columbia University, The University of Pennsylvania, NYU and Fordham University.
- In recent graduating classes, seniors of The Lander Colleges were accepted to the following medical and dental schools:
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- George Washington University Medical School
- Haifa Technion (Israel) Medical School
- The Sackler School of Medicine (Tel Aviv University)
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- New York University School of Dentistry
- SUNY Syracuse College of Medicine
- New York University Medical School
- SUNY Stony Brook College and Medicine and Dentistry
- New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- Mount Sinai Medical College
- University of Maryland Dental School
- University of Pennsylvania Medical School
- In 2000 and 2001, more than 90% of the students of The Lander Colleges of Arts and Sciences seeking entry into the allied health fields were admitted to master’s degree programs in occupational and physical therapy, occupational therapy and upper division bachelor programs in physical assistant studies.
- In recent years, Touro graduates achieved exceptional pass rates on the licensure examinations for physical therapists, occupational therapists, and physical assistants.
- Major accounting firms employing Lander graduates in New York, Baltimore and Chicago include:
- Anchin Block and Anchin
- Arthur Anderson & Co.
- Checkers Simon & Rosner (Chicago)
- Deloitte & Touche
- Ernst & Young
- Grant Thornton
- Loeb & Troper
- Leshkowitz & Co.
- Marks Schron & Co.
- M.R. Weiser & Co.
- KPMG Peat Marwick
- Perelson & Weiner
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers
- Richard A. Eisner & Co.
- SPEECH—For four consecutive years, students of The Lander Colleges have achieved an exceptional record of admissions to master’s degree programs in speech therapy and audiology, with a 97% acceptance rate in 2002.
- EDUCATION—In Spring 2001, seniors in The Lander Colleges earned a pass rate of nearly 100% on the New York State Teachers Certification Examination.
- SOCIAL WORK—Lander graduates are studying for their MSW degrees at Columbia University, New York University, Fordham, Rutgers, Hunter, and The Wurtzweiller School of Social Work, Yeshiva University.
- Fortune 500 Companies, investment and insurance firms and other large corporations that employ graduates of The Lander Colleges include:
- American Stock Exchange
- American Stock Transfer & Trust Co.
- Atlantic Coast Technologies (Maryland)
- Bear Stearns
- Chicago Board of Trade
- Bell Atlantic
- Credit Suisse First Boston
- The DMC Corporation
- Equitable Life Assurance Societies
- Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Hearst Entertainment
- HSBC (incl. former Republic National Bank)
- IDT Corporation
- J.P. Morgan
- Lazard Freres
- Merrill Lynch
- Metropolitan Life
- Morgan Stanley Dean Witter
- Paine Webber
- Prudential Securities
- Safra National Bank
- Salomon Smith Barney
- Sanford C. Bernstein
- Sony Corporation
- Sterling National Bank
- Sunkyong America Inc.
- Zweig Companies
- Lander graduates have distinguished themselves at top tier law firms such as:
- Debevoise & Plimton
- Dewey Ballantine
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
- Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue
- Kay, Scholer
- Kelley, Drye & Warren
- Proskauer Rose, LLP
- Roberts & Holland
- Robinson & Silverman
- Skadden, Arps
- Simpson Thatcher and Barlett
- Sullivan and Cromwell
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges
- Medical Centers, government agencies, and universities employing Lander graduates include:
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Children’s Memorial Hospital (Chicago)
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center
- Federal Reserve Bank
- Food & Drug Administration
- Fordham University
- Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Maimonides Medical Center
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Mount Sinai Medical Center
- New York City Department of Education
- New York County District Attorney’s Office
- New York State Controller’s Office
- King’s County District Attorney’s Office
- Pace University
- Rockefeller University
- United States Healthcare Financing Administration
- University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
- Veteran’s Administration
- York University
- Numerous alumnae of Touro College hold teaching and supervisory positions in schools in New York, Detroit, Los Angeles, Lakewood, Toronto, Washington, Portland, South Bend, Elizabeth, Miami, and Chicago. Schools employing Touro graduates include: Ateret Torah, Bais Kaila High School (Lakewood), Bais Yaakov Academy, Bais Yaakov Adas Yereim High School, Bais Yaakov of Chicago, Bais Yaakov High School of Toronto, Bnos Leah Prospect Park, Bruriah High School, Eitz Chaim School(Toronto), HAFTR, HANC, HASC, Hebrew Academy of Greater Miami, HIDEC, Manhattan High School for Girls ,Ohr Eliyahu Academy (Culver City, CA), Pesach Tikvah, Portland Jewish Academy, Ramaz, SAR Academy, South Bend Hebrew Day School, Torah Academy for Girls, Torah Academy of Suffolk County, Yeshiva Beth Yehuda (Detroit), Yeshiva of Central Queens, Yeshiva Chaim Berlin, Yeshiva Darchei Torah, Yeshiva of Flatbush, Yeshiva of Greater Washington, Yeshiva Torah Temimah, Yeshiva Torah Vodaath, Yeshiva Toras Emes (Los Angeles), and YULA.